history_2.jpg
 

History

Avail Through
Time

1956

Calvin Christian School was established by members of First Christian Reformed Church in Minneapolis, but, convinced that Christian education was not the task of the church, they organized as a voluntary membership association of parents and other Christian education supporters. On April 27, 1956, they gathered in the first meeting of the Calvin Christian School Society, as the association was called.

 
 

1957

In the fall of 1957, five and a half acres of land near 42nd Street and France Avenue was selected as the future home of Calvin Christian School. A two-room school building was built on the site, and school opened in the fall of 1961 with one teacher and 15 students in grades 1-5.

 
 
 
 

1966

Growth was rapid, and in 1966 the first building expansion took place in Edina. Four more phases of expansion followed, the last in 2008, as enrollment grew and kindergarten and middle school grades were added.

1992

In the late 1980’s, a task force was formed to explore starting a second K-8 campus of Calvin Christian School in a northern suburb of the metro area. The task force located a former public elementary school building in Blaine that was purchased and renovated in the spring and summer of 1992. In the fall of 1992 the Blaine campus opened with 33 students in grades K-3.

2004

Calvin Christian launched its high school program in the fall of 2004 with four teachers and 14 freshmen in space leased from Olivet Baptist Church in Crystal, MN.

2008

Determining that the high school needed to be closer to one of the Calvin Christian School K-8 campuses, Calvin Christian High School moved to its current location in Fridley, MN in 2008.

2018

Calvin Christian School officially changed its name to Avail Academy.


What began over fifty years ago as a school with 15 students from eight families, primarily from one church in the Christian Reformed denomination--- has since blossomed to include over 400 students representing over 225 families from 65+ churches in the Twin Cities! Soli Deo Gloria!